Saturday, May 23, 2009

Back to the gym

Headed back to the gym today after giving the leg some semi-rest yesterday. In reality, the leg maybe got overworked yesterday while at my high school's sectional meet. Lots of standing and walking which really makes my knee swell up still with all the bruising. To get onto the infield when I arrived at the meet, I needed to jog across the track. To my (pleasant) surprise, the leg felt fine jogging. Obviously, I'm a few weeks away from actual running, but it's a great feeling to have this little trouble barely a week out of surgery.

At the gym, I planned to get 35-40 minutes of work in on the bike and elliptical. I started out on the elliptical, planning to hit 25 minutes. Baylor's 12th straight victory in the 4x400m at Big 12's kept me going an extra minute for a total of 26. I moved over to the bike and found my knee pretty stiff and a bit sore from the elliptical, so I started out slow and easy. The knee eventually loosened up some, and I sped up, but kept the resistance fairly low for the 10 minutes I spent on the bike.

After stretching, I felt just a bit of stiffness and soreness in the knee, but not too bad for over 35 minutes of work. My biggest problem right now is that I'm battling a cold. Really, who gets a cold in May? I iced the knee when I returned home and it's feeling pretty alright. Today was also my first day off of pain meds, so I expect to be feeling it a bit more.

No comments: