Thursday, May 28, 2009

That Fire

Hit the gym again today. My leg felt fine after two straight days of cross training, so I made it three. Did 25 minutes on the bike and then 35 on the elliptical to also make it my highest volume since the surgery. Felt great. I hit both the bike and the elliptical pretty hard. Heart rate didn't get higher than 150 or so on the bike, but I got it up into the 170's for just a little on the elliptical. Thinking about getting a heart rate monitor for when I'm back running.

Doctor tomorrow to get the stitches out. Hoping he clears me to run at 4 weeks out.

I'm very pleased with the way I'm cross training right now. Usually it's a real struggle not to sit on my ass when I can't run, but this time it's different. I've got a fire lit under me like never before. I trained my butt off for years to run fast, but this is a completely different feeling. I don't know how fast I'll ever be again. If I run cross country, there's no way I'll be anywhere near the times I ran three years ago. And yet I don't think I've ever wanted to train harder than I do right now.

I'm eating healthier than ever, I'm actually cross training, I'm stretching, I'm icing, and I'm not doing anything too stupid with this leg. Hell, I'm not even drinking other than an occasional beer. My sleep isn't great yet, but that will change as soon as I start work. Then it's a simple schedule: 5:45 wake-up, 6:15 run, work at camp, second training session (cross training until I can run twice per day), dinner, downtime, sleep by 10. I have to keep myself to that bedtime. Fuck distractions. I have one goal this summer: run cross country.

No comments: